From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 02:49:37 -0400
Greetings all on this beautiful spring evening!

I have a friend that has just returned from a 5-month expedition to
the Venezuelan tepuis, almost universally known as "The Lost Worlds"
(one, Mt. Roraima, was the setting of the Arthur Conan Doyle book of
the same name). Some of these flat-topped mountains are over a mile
high! While this expedition was concentrating on carnivorous plants
and orchids (many new species discovered), my friend found two land
snails on one of the tepuis (I believe it was Auyan). I wonder if any
of you land snail experts might know what species would be found
there? I can send photos. He only found two, despite intense
searching on all the many tepuis, but I must admit that one is in
good condition, while the other appears to be gem! They have a
gorgeous perio and darker stripes. Considering the fact that just two
were found would mean they are quite rare or possibly estivating
under rocks. Thoughts?

Let me know if any of you wants to take a stab at ID.

Have a great week!
Jim