From:
Lyle Therriault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:03:30 -0400
Dan,

in 2002 I built a small dredge that can be used either with a small boat or
can be converted and used by hand. I made a small "basket" out of some 1/4
inch mesh sturdy metal ( aluminum so it wasnt heavy and wouldnt rust ) with
a heavier aluminum frame around the opening so it wouldnt be damaged much
if it got hung up on a rock or something under the water. I also built a
set of brackets held in place with stainless steel bolts and nuts, which
could convert the dredge to be used by hand with an aluminum pole, the kind
you can buy to be used with your swimming pool attachments.  The "basket"
opening is roughly about 18 inches wide, and about 6 inches tall......with
the depth of the basket about 14 inches. It worked terrific on it's trial
run by small boat in water about 20 feet deep. ( using about 50 feet of
marine approved rope, and also another small line attached to the back of
the basket in case the other two lines broke)  It works even better used as
a hand dredge in water less than 5 feet deep......since the pole can be
adjusted from say 12 feet down to about  6 feet in length.  I found
numerous species using it as a hand dredge.  Using it as a dredge behind a
small craft is a bit tricky, since it is not that large, you'd have to make
numerous passes over a small area to get the full affect of dredging.  I
could give you specific measurements and or materials list if you'd like,
if it's something you'd be interested in making yourself.

Sincerely, Lyle