From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:33:50 -0500
Charlie and Harry,

I wondered whether this species might be more a denizen of oceanic islands,
or at least of outer continental shelves, than of nearshore continental
waters. The Isla Fernando do Noronha, for which noronhensis is presumably
named, is well off the coast of Brazil. You might check species lists for
other remote Atlantic islands such as Ascension, Tristan da Cunha, and St.
Helena, and of course Madeira and the Azores.

A brief Web search suggests that all of these are great tourist destinations
these days -- a far cry from the days of my youth, when I read National
Geographic articles about such remote places as Tristan with fascination. I
have the impression that most islands are largely taken up by enormous
airstrips now.

Andrew

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama