From:
John Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:48:30 -0400
Hybrids of the hard clam (Mercenaria) have been found in the Indian River
Lagoon (Dillon and Manzi, 1989) and in Cedar Key (Arnold et al. 2004).
These hybrids are between the Atlantic species Mercenaria mercenaria and the
Gulf species Mercenaria campechiensis.  Ribbed mussels (Geukensia sp.) have
also been found to hybridize in the Indian River Lagoon (Sarver et al.
1992).
Hope this helps,
John

Arnold WS, Walters SL, Fajans JS, Peters SC, and Bert TM (2004) Influece of
congeneric aquaculture on hard clam (Mercenaria spp.) population genetic
structure.  Aquacult. Int. 12: 139-160.

Dillon RT Jr. and Manzi JJ (1989) Genetics and shell morphology in a hybrid
zone between the hard clams Mercenaria mercenaria and M. campechiensis.
Mar. Biol. 100: 217-222.

Sarver SK, Landrum MC and Foltz DW (1992) Genetics and taxonomy of ribbed
mussels (Geukensia spp.).  Mar. Biol. 113: 385-390.