From:
"J. Ross Mayhew" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 04:34:24 -0300
Thanks to all who supplied information in this case - what a great
resource this list truly is!!  We shall duly incorporate it into  the
Checklist.  I think that clarkei Rehder & Abbott can most probably be
considered a readily identifyable form or armiger Crosse, but would very
much like to see a couple more "verified" photos before coming down
solidly on this matter.  Does anyone have any further photos to share??

I should note that we are regarding "forms" (forms, varieties, named
eco-variants) to be "valid" (ie, worthy of recognition as such, and not
simply placed in synonymy) if they can reliably be differentiated from
the nominative and other forms of a given species.  While they have no
"official" ICZN recognition, they are nevertheless useful as shorthand
designations of specific, consistantly identifiable variants, for a
variety of possible purposes!

Working on this document has certainly been an eye-opener for us, i must
say: SUCH diversity of opinion exists for so many taxa, amongst careful
students of natural history - it illustrates just how much more there is
to learn and straigthen out before we can agree on taxonomic matters in
and of themselves - let alone more systematic and substantial knowledge
about the many species and local populations of major groups of
organisms!!  (On the other hand, such knowledge will no doubt prove to
be a considerable help with taxonomic issues...... nothing in science
can be considered in isolation!!!).

- Ross Mayhew.