From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:03:46 +1000
Thanks again for the many suggestions and off-list information.

To answer some of the identification concerns, I have returned to the stream
once more to find more specimens. Also, I have made additional images of the
"big_clam" which show both sides of its valves.

First, I found two more live Corbicula, smaller than the one imaged before (it
went back to the stream, alive, several days ago). I left them in situ. About
20 single valves of Corbicula were found before I hit upon a second
"fingernail" valve. The valves of one emptied Corbicula were brought back for
imaging. The two Sphaeriid valves (both seem to be the same valve but I don't
know left from right when it comes to bivalves) have been included in these two
images (the green bead is 6.0mm in diameter):
http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/bivalvs0.jpg  (outside)
http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/bivalvs1.jpg  (inside)

Second, I found two gastropod shells in the silty gravel which produced the
Corbicula and Sphaeriid valves. I have no idea if these were aquatic or
terrestrial. These can be seen at:
http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/gastros0.jpg  (top)
http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/gastros1.jpg  (bottom)

Last, to aid in getting an ID on the large clam, I made these two images:
http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/bigclam0.jpg  (top)
http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/bigclam1.jpg  (bottom)

Aloha,

Bob Dayle