From:
Pete Krull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:56:29 -0500
Ross's original question revolved around a hurricane's affect on Liguus
populations. The 1935 hurricane that hit the Florida keys demolished the
entire "beach hammock" on Lower Matecumbe Key. This was the type locality of
L.f.dohertyi. This hurricane may have caused the extinction of this form
although there are records that dohertyi may have been planted in the
Homestead or Lauderdale areas and there is a slim chance that they survive
today in one or more of these locations. Hurricanes often cause extensive
damage to hardwood hammocks but rarely destroy an entire hammock. Cox
hammock(Monkey jungle) and many hammocks in the "Rocky Glades" area of ENP
were damaged by Hurricane Andrew. These hammocks have recovered and their
Liguus populations are alive and well.

There is a possibility that hurricanes may have actually helped spread
liguus from hammock to hammock and maybe even from Cuba to Florida. If this
did/does occur it is probably rarely. During hurricane season snails are
active and often attach themselves to leaves. Young liguus at this time of
year can be extremely small and lightweight and could possible ride a leaf a
great distance.

Thanks to collectors Liguus have been transplanted all over south Florida
over the last hundred or more years. Most forms, even ones that were
originally very rare, are now alive and well in many different locations.
People who claim Liguus are declining in numbers due to habitat destruction
are sadly mistaken. Many hammocks in the Keys have been set aside as natural
preserves. The snails in some of these hammocks were wiped out back in the
'80s by broad spectrum pesticides. However, thanks to collectors, most of
these hammocks have been restocked and now support thriving populations.

Also consider that ENP and Big Cypress Swamp together have 800 or so
hammocks that are forever off limits to development. Most of these hammocks
support thriving populations of endemic and/or introduced Ligs. Timm's, Cox,
Mattheson, even Brickell, famous old snail hammocks in Miami and Homestead
all have thriving populations, though there is little left of Brickell which
once covered most of south Miami. Pilsbry's prediction that collectors would
eventually wipe out all Lig populations never came true. In fact starting
with Archie Jones and Erwin Winte and probably continuing today there are
probably 400 hammocks that now have snails that never had them originally or
had them and the original stock was exterminated.

Don't feel sorry for Liguus. They are alive and well and probably as
plentiful as ever. Feel sorry for us lost souls who can no longer legally
enjoy collecting them.