From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:19:48 -0200
If you plan to have your shells on a database I suggest using a number for
each family so you can look at your shells in systematic order or print a
list.

I have a list in my site (which is not 100% correct specially after so many
changes), but you can have an idea of what I am talking about
http://www.femorale.com.br/shells/phyllogenetic.asp

Then, you can make an automatic generated number for each species. Databases
are great since you can change things later as you need.

Regarding identification, I consider extremely important to sell a shell
with the right name - although it is not possible all the time, having in
mind there are different opinions even when we think we are 100% right.

We include the bibliography on every label to show where we got the name. We
have a very large private library, subscribe many magazines and copy those
papers we don't have in trips or in our local University.

Marcus Coltro
WWW.FEMORALE.COM

I am fairly new to shell collecting and have enjoyed listening in to the
list.

While my collection is quite small, but growing, I understand now is the
time to start cataloging.  Is there a standard way to catalogue?  Do I start
with number one and assign a number to each shell as I aquire them, or
should I use a alphanumeric system where a letter of the alphabet is
assigned to each family plus a number to identify each shell in that family?

Should the number be attached to the shell itself or to it's box?  Otherwise
the paper label could be separated from the shell and the information lost.

What does everyone else do?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Stanley