From:
Vicky Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:35:03 -0500
Hi Everyone,
I have been a high school biology teacher for 20 years. I have a son who
is now a 9th grader. From helping his teachers through the years and
having several friends who teach in the lower grades, I can say, at
least here in North Carolina, that science does take a back seat to
other subjects, mainly due to the insane testing we are required to do
by the state. For example, in grades 6-8, the kids are taken out of
their science and history classes in order to either test for other
subjects such as the reading and writing test, or in my son's case, he
missed 2 weeks of science to "cram" for the state computer competency
test. NC wants kids tested in computers and he wasn't even in the
computer class at the time...testing was in October and he was slated to
have the class in the spring. At least in middle school, this trend may
shift in favor of biology....the state is now requiring a competency
test in science. In the elementary grades, I don't know as much about
what goes on, but I do hear many teachers complain about "having to
teach science". It scares them, and why I don't know.....especially with
little ones, I think that would be the easiest thing to teach and grab
their attention. Teacher education courses in college do expose them to
science but with all the other subjects they must teach, it is very
difficult for them to get everything in...as with the older children,
the younger ones are tested to death too here in NC.
In my own classes I add my own life's experiences to the curriculum....I
have stocked the department with specimens we purchase with our supply
allotment, but most I have collected myself. I have tons of personal
stories to tell the kids, especially from my shelling trips. I also show
them slides from my trips.  It's very disappointing to see how limited
students are now in their exposure to science and how many of them will
never explore biology on their own. They are missing out on so much fun
and learning. Probably also to fault are all the forms of distraction
they have now that we didn't have as kids....video games, computer
stuff, etc. They look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them as kids we
had acorn battles in the woods, looked under rocks for salamanders and
snails, and the highlight of summer was scaring my mom with snakes we
found. For my own son, I am so glad we do have a new club at school that
ties into Boy Scouts and the ROTC program we have...it's called Venture
Crew and it's the best thing we have right now that actually gets the
high school kids outside and away from their video games! The kids have
activities such as hiking, climbing, and hopefully they will get into
the scuba unit. Membership is at 30 and rising. Some of these kids had
never participated in outdoor activities before. It will be a slow road
back, but maybe with activities like this and more exposure to nature in
the lower grades, we can capture younger people's attention and interest
in nature clubs like shell clubs.
Vicky Wall