From:
Karen VanderVen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:14:55 -0500
Hello, Charlie.

I'm sending this to the entire list because if there are other
Pittsburgh shell collectors out there, I'd like to know it myself
so perhaps we could be in touch.

In the meantime, your message sent me scurrying again
to my Pittsburgh Shell Club (and other) archives. I was
very active in the Club from 1966 to 1971 or so after which
time I lost touch as I was back in school, etc.  What continues
to make me so sad when I check out all my Pittsburgh
Shell Club memorabilia (newsletters, meeting announcements,
membership lists and the like) is how /why what was such
a vital and wonderful club did indeed become defunct.  I remember
meetings that filled an entire room and featured major names
in shelling.  Anyway...

What I did find if this would help regarding your request about
Victor Sterki is an article in a 1966-7 newsletter on him.

It's "Dr. Victor Sterki as a Malacologist" by Ralph Dexter
and was based on a lecture given to the Pgh. Shell
Club on Nov. 6, 1965.

One day I will be happy to ship my numerous boxes, files and file
folders full of old shell club newsletters (from all over),
old dealers lists, trip reports, etc. to the new shell history
project.  I think my shell paper collection takes up almost
as much space as my actual collection.

Karen