From:
Amy Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:57:00 -0500
Hi,

I wanted to answer the questions recently raised concerning what conch-l
allows and does not allow, and why we have rules at all.

The rules were put in place to keep conch-l a useful and usable list.  These
rules are modified as needed in response to problems as they are encountered.

Why is there a subscription policy?
This helps keep spam off of the list - and that is very important.

Why don't we allow attachments?
There are several reasons, but the two largest are:
1) to keep out viruses
2) so that subscribers who have email account limits (or pay for the space
used) are not hit with large emails.  By far the best way to make images or
other large files available is to put them on a web or ftp site and then
send out a link to that URL.  Subscribers who are interested in the
information can then retrieve it, and those who are not interested are not
bothered by a slow download, full email box or unexpected costs.

Why is conch-l non-commercial?
Yes we are hosted by a University and they do have rules about commercial
posting.  We do allow informational posts, such as announcements of new
websites, books, DVD, shell club and COA announcements.  But this list is
not a place to send advertisements for your own personal gain.

What if I have a question about posting?
You can read the rules on line at:
http://www.arches.uga.edu/~amylyne/CONCH-L/CONCH-L.html
You can send email to: [log in to unmask]
You can send me email: [log in to unmask]

I hope this answers your questions, if I missed one let me know and I'll try
to answer it as well.

Happy e-shelling

Amy