From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 20:25:51 -0600
Marc,

Along with running the shell business, I am a professional television
writer/producer in the Washington D.C. area, and I have dealt with
Discovery and TLC for stock film footage.  Their nature documentary stock
footage is readily available, and I can give you sources for this, but I
must warn you, it is SUPER EXPENSIVE.  They make significant money on
selling stock footage with prices as high as $500.00 per second!   National
Geographic has a fantastic library of marine organism film footage
including some great footage of the blue ringed octopus.

I have paid hefty amounts for the rights to use Discovery Channel and CNN
stock footage for some of my television shows.  There are also two stock
footage houses in the U.S. that specialize in underwater footage from some
of the top u.w. cinematographers like John McKinney and  others.

Fortunately companies like Discovery Channel and TLC market their
documentaries through the video stores.  So for $19.95 you can take home
their productions and enjoy all of the superb footage.

By-the-way, in the past, proposals have been submitted to these cable
channels for a series of documentaries on the molluscan realm.  The
response in all cases was that subject matter is too narrow.  One comment
was, "people want to see sharks tearing at flesh."  So, there you have it.
Let's all go watch Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.

Rich
Richard L. Goldberg
Worldwide Specimen Shells
http://www.erols.com/worldwide