From:
Simon Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:01:05 +1000
G'day Tim,

If you send some images of the Cervantes shell to me I'll help you out.
Either I can answer or questions or I can forward them to my commercial shell diving friend.

I did some diving with a local WA commercial shell diver friend and we found some very large deep water friendii (25-40m) very different to the standard shallower 8-14m ones. The larger females were all left in the large grey cup sponges as they were on eggs, but 2 male ones (smaller) were taken.

My friend is a very ethical diver, I wonder how many other shell divers would leave the females on the eggs? Anyway that's for another discussion!

They are more inflated and broader than the typical shallow water ones.
We were in the Garden & Carnac Island area, a good 150+ Km south of Cervantes.

Most of the deeper water friendii are flawed in some way usually algal blight & often chipped.

My email address is...

Best regards,

Simon Wilson
Melbourne, Australia

Subject:   Question concerning Zoila friendii vercoi Schilder, 1930.
Hello,

     I have a question for the Cypraeidae experts out there.  In my collection, I have the
following specimen (with data from original label):

     Zoila friendii deep water form
     Gray 1831
     Cervantes Island, Western Australia
     Found by diver at 20 metres on sponge
     83mm

I've compared it with the following typical specimen (with data from original label):

     Zoila friendii Gray 1831
     Garden Island, South Western Australia
     By diver, on sponge, at 20 meters.
     79mm

The specimen from Cervantes Island is much more inflated in appearance than the typical the
Garden
Island specimen.  Furthermore the Cervantes Island shell has a bluish dorsum with overlying
brownish spotting, the margins are lighter in color (edged with dark brown) and noticeably
spotted.  The anterior canal is less rostrated than in the Garden Island shell.  The base of
the
shell is brown with light tan near the margin and extremities.
     I see from maps that Cervantes Island is farther to the north than Garden Island.  My
questions are as follows:

1. Do the known ranges of Z. friendii friendii and Z. friendii vercoi overlap?
2. If so, by how much?
3. Do Z. friendii friendii and Z. friendii vercoi occupy the same habitat within the same
range?
4. My Cervantes Island specimen seems to fit the criteria for vercoi as listed in Lorenz and
   Hubert.  Could my Cervantes Island specimen be a vercoi?

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance and I'll look
forward to
hearing from you soon. :)

Sincerely,
Tim Blackwood