From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:33:47 -0500
Dear He Jing,

The Shanghai hepatitis A outbreak is certainly the largest and most
shocking of its kind.

The problems of raw bivalve mollusk consumption and biological
pollution are discussed at <http://www.jaxshells.org/mollusks.htm>.
We Americans are very fortunate to be relatively insulated from
epidemics like the one you witnessed.

Harry

At 08:43 AM 11/28/2006, you wrote [slightly edited]:
>Which species is poisonous? In fact, it doesn't matter which species is
>poisonous, almost all of the mollusks can be poisonous, what we should ask
>is : where and when they are poisonous ?
>
>In the winter of 1987, I was a university student in Shanghai. it is near
>the chinese biggest festival, spring festival, an infectious disease broke
>out. Not enough doctors, not enough beds in hospital, not enough medicines. I
>rembered until today; the stadium of our school was used to set many beds
>for sick people.
>
>Three months later, the infectious disease was controlled. The government
>said there were 300000 people infected.
>
>The reason was discovered. People in Shanghai like to eat raw Scapharcas.
>Scientists said the Scapharcas from polluted area are all with hepatitis
>virus in the flesh.
>
> From 1988 spring, selling Scapharcas is illegal, any one sell these
>species will be penalized. But before 1988, the Scapharcas had been on the
>table of Shanghai people for hundreds of years
>
>A new story comes these days. About 150 people was sent to hospital in
>Beijing becase they ate some freshwater mollusks. They ate raw mollusks.

Harry G. Lee, M. D.
4132 Ortega Forest Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32210 USA
voice (904) 389 4049