From:
Bernd Sahlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:35:46 +0200
Dear Lubos,
the 12 snails (as well as 4 dolphins) are part of the tomb of Saint
Sebaldus, buried in the Sebaldus Church at Nuremberg. The shrine was made
out of bronze by P. Vischer and sons during 1489 and 1519. Its total weight
is more than 7 tons and it is about 5 meters high.
http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/month/feb00/month.htm
A close view to a single snail could be found at:
http://www.sebalduskirche.de/index.php?id=132. (text in german only). Every
snail is said to be different.
By the way, the church was the last position of the famous barocque composer
Johann Pachelbel. You may have heard his famous Canon and Gigue before.
As Henk told us, the snail was a well understood symbol of recreation at
that time.

Best regards
Bernd Sahlmann