From:
Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:48:52 -0400
Hello All.

    I had a great time at COA.  I wanted to thank the Texas hosts and know
that I always felt welcome coming back home to Texas. It was really great to
see faces that I have only known from lists or web-sites.  My only regret
was the time that I could spend at the show was so limited that I felt
rushed through the whole show.

    Anyway, I gathered up my air miles before my air carrier goes belly-up
and booked a  flight to Honolulu for the family this December.  At this
point the whole trip is in the planning stage. We'll likely spend the bulk
of our time on either Maui or the Big Island.  I have been to Maui (I was
married there), but could always use more advice about shelling locations
(we are talking snorkeling to about 12 feet or beach collecting).  I'm also
thinking about a side trip to Lanai from Maui.

      I have no clue about the Big-Island (ie if Kona or Hilo area beaches
are generally more productive in December).  Also any decent shell shops on
either island would be appreciated.  (It is also possible we may have a day
on Oahu so advice there is appreciated).  I look forward to doing a little
native birding at higher elevations and a touch of whale-watching to boot.

If you are more comfortable contacting me privately please feel free to
email me directly.

Cheers and thanks.

Doug

Doug