From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 00:41:28 +1300
So Lubos R Kolouch is an alias of Walter O Cernohorsly?

Unfortunately I can't state my sources, because they would kill me.

Please read the flllowing carefully. It was not a personal attack, and
Walter seems to have confused what I thought I had stated clearly.

However it is nice to know that I'm unethical, childish and nonKiwi.
It in not necessary to have published "substantive" papers to have the
knowledge necessary to do so. I refrain for various reasons, one being
that I can't put my words down in the flowing and logical order
needed, and that I don't have money to pay journals to publish (which
is why you'll only see me as a junior coauthor or in the
acknowledgements).

I don't mean any personal affront,  but my claims can be checked out
by anyone with the relevant literature,

Criticism should always be accepted; it offers others' points of view
and also should make the author look closely at his own work. That is
how science is done. No feedback, no pressure th recheck your works.

I did not say that Latiromitra is not a good genus, but that its
species were being popularly assigned to synonyms such as Cyomesus
(that's the genus I'd tempor\arily forgotten) and to a synonym of
Exilia. I at no time said that Latiromitra "is a synonym of a
> species which escapes Grebneff's memory)". How can a genus ne a synonym of a species? Latiromitra is a good genus, though often its species are placed in the synonymous genus-level taxa Cyomesus and valid Benthovoluta (which is a synonym of Exilia).

Metzgeria has atributes of Ptychatractidae and not Volutomitridae.

I must give Walter, whom I have never met (in fact is the only NZ
molluscan worker, Recent or fossil shells, of the last few decades
whom I have not met or corresponded with, apart from Powell), credit
for intimating that Nassariinae is unnecessarily retained as distinct
from Buccinidae; in this he was way head of the times... but at the
same time I believe that he should have taken the opportunity to act
on his belief and formally synonymized it in that work.

If he is on the list, I'd like to ask why he quit malacology and sold
off his library. I'm told that he "lost interest" in the field. I
cannot understand this.

I have to say that his 3 volumes on molluscs od the SW Pacific were
important items in my library, and that in a fit of insanity
(literrally so) I gave two of them away, to my present regret, along
with a bunck of other importamnt works and some of my prized
specimens..

--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand