From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:55:41 -0400
>Jenny Cline wrote:
>>
>> I have recently acquired what appears to be a hybrid Erosaria moneta x
>> caputserpentis.  Several of these have been recovered from the Phillipines
>> in recent years.  How frequently have Conch-L'ers encountered hybridized
>> Cypraea?
>>
>> I can make a digital photo to share if anyone would like to see it, or post
>> it on a website.
>>
>> Jenny Cline
>>
>> Until 15 Oct:
>> 401 S. Twin Creek Dr. #9C
>> Killeen, Texas 76543
>> (254) 699-2501
>>
>> "Non illegitimi carborundum est."
>> I trade for Cypraea and buy related literature!
>
>Jenny,
>
>What an odd coincidence.  I have, sitting in front of me, what appears to
>be a cross between a Cypraea lynx and a C. tigris. First one I've ever
>seen. It's well known that species of Haliotis hybridize, but it never
>occurred to me that Cypraea might, as well.
>
>K. Hutsell
>San Diego

Kim and Jenny,

Don't they think that a few of those odd and rare South African species are
hybrids?  Cypraeovula species and forms?  Something about end-of-range
stress on the species, many of which are relatively newly evolved, and so
don't really have their systems of interspecific barriers to interbreeding
well in place yet. Stress caused by deeper water, colder climate than the
optimum, etc?  Is this still the theory? Can anyone tell us more?

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY