From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:55:27 PDT
The Archives have been quite busy of late and, as a person
interested in seeing information on cowries made widely
available, it is gratifying to be of assistance to these
folks.

The past few weeks have produced nearly one thousand total
hits and the last thirty-six hours has provided about one-
third of that total.

I have recently been asked (through private e-mail) about
permission to print the pages out. My policy, which is on
the 'index.html' page of the lead site, is quite simple
but will be repeated here for any who are considering this
feat.

I claim copyright protection ONLY for the HTML text document
which the browser program interprets to produce the display
you read. That "marked-up" text is mine -- for no reason but
to retain control of its potential (if unrealized) commercial
value.

The articles themselves are uncopyrighted, per published statement
in the printed issues (from about 1973, onward). The HSN invited
republication, requesting only that due credit be given to the HSN.
I claim no copyright on the articles (excepting my comments, which
have been few and far between). They are in the public domain,
so far as I can determine.

I have given authors' and editors' names, where they could be
determined, and credit to the photographers (and artists) where
credits existed.

As we all know, anything that can be used, can also be abused.
I expect this will happen, later rather than sooner, with these
articles.

Enjoy!

Aloha,

makuabob