From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:00:13 -0800
A word of caution about collecting in Baja...

The Mexican authorities are REALLY cracking down on shell collecting in
Baja, especially around Loreto.  The entire area has been designated as a
reserve and they ARE NOT KIDDING about inforcement. A group of shellers
from our area just returned...empty handed...because everything was
confiscated.  They're really quite lucky that only the shells were
impounded and not their gear, boats, and cars, as well.

This is quite serious, people.  If you go to Baja to collect, you are
taking an enormous risk. Don't let anyone tell you that it's no big deal
or that you won't get caught. I know of at least one person here (not
me) who is working with the Mexican authorities, allerting them to
gringo shelling activities in Baja.

You may also want to keep in mind that they can look for information on
the internet about collectors and where they're collecting...just like
the rest of us.  Advertising on the internet about shelling trips to Baja
is the same as setting up a big, flashing neon sign.

If you absolutely must collect in Baja, GET THE PROPER PERMITS!!! Permits
are NOT issued to casual collectors and commercial permits run several
hundred dollars. If you plan to go with a group and are told they have
the permits, ask to see them. If you're told you don't need a permit,
well...I've passed by the territorial prison in Baja many times. Believe
me...you DON'T want to be there!

Kim Hutsell
Field Research, Marine Malacology
San Diego