From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:15:54 -0000
Good point Howard, the problem w/ live collecting on Captiva is that unless
your mode of transportation is by boat then you must drive your car through
Sanibel, try convincing the local Gestapo where the live shells crawling
around in your bucket came from .
SECOND POINT TO BE MADE
Some species of astraea , phobia & tecta (or americana) have a numbers
limit, I.E. 3 or 4 specimens per person per day and this is law all thu
Florida. This is from the horses mouth; Florida Fish and Game .
Personally I think a numbers band should be law for all species. We have all
seen THESE certain type collectors who fill thier buckets with live
specimens and have little reguard for the future stock . I'm rather sick and
tierd of seeing "growth series".
For those out there that say the numbers are not declining , whatever
happened to terebra taurinum which at one time was common throughout
florida, strombus gallus that was as common as alatus mitra florida , you
never see these anymore, or cymatium parthenopeum or cittarium pica both at
one time were as common as mud, futhermore not one of these species is
commercially havested , the numbers were whiped out by collectors who had
not restrictions . the real answer of course is self restraint but this idea
is lost in the world we live in ,,,,,,ferreter