Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 05:47:46 -0500
I have enjoyed the threads about beach renourishment, conservation,
and museums this past couple of weeks. We are soon moving to Naples,
Florida for most of the winter, and these topics help me, as an amateur,
learn more about my favorite environment.

For example, last year in Naples, the city decided to re-sand the beach.
On our walks every day, we saw barges, cranes, and LOTS of sand being
piled on a 2 mile stretch of "our" beach. We sort of knew what the
idea was- to replenish the beaches' sand from a harsh winter- but the
discussion on Conch-L has helped me put some scientific perspective on
the activity we experienced. Without the recent discussions, as a beach
lover and an amateur collector, I would have simply thought, "wow, look
at the shells coming out of the chute on that noisy machine", or "neat,
the beach has more sand."

When we walk the beach this year, thanks to the discussions, I can cast
a more knowing and critical eye on the beach environment and have a deeper
understanding of how the natural cycle has been artificially interrupted-
and at what cost.

Also as an example, last year when we visited the Bailey Mathews Shell Museum
in Sanibel, I enjoyed all the shell displays enormously. This year, I'll have
a greater understanding not only of the shells themselves, but of the methods
of collection, cataloging, and contributions of the volunteers who help
make the displays possible.

>The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum sees itself, according to its mission
>statement and latest version of its long-range plan, as an educational
>organization

I've watched the birth and growth of this museum from the start through
bulletins, the media, and word of mouth. When we stayed in Naples last year,
we visited it for the first time. I have to say that this museum is absolutely
wonderful. As an amateur conchologist, it is an invaluable educational
resource.
As a temporary SW Florida resident, the museum is a gorgeous addition to an
already beautiful island.

We love the displays, the layout, the videos, the bookshop...

> the>soon-to-open "Cephalopoda, Pinnacle of Molluscan Specialization",
which>includes a 13-foot giant squid model prepared according to the latest data
>gathered on that elusive beast (if you visit after mid-January).

Thanks for that update. I look forward to the new display on micromolluscs and
the squid exhibit (neato! Giant squid!)

>But make
>sure that you also call me from the reception desk for a tour of the
>collection area and library.

I'll take you up on that. :)

I wanted you all to know how much of an effect your discusions have on this
amateur from the frozen north. I have learned so much, and feel fortunate to
have participated to the extent that I have here on Conch-L. In turn, what
I've learned will spill over to my husband, father, and friends...(whether they
like it or not, bu gum!)

Now I can't wait to get back out to the beach and put this knowledge to good
use!!

Elizabeth