Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 20:23:57 -0400
Maybe I am in the minority, however, I no longer apply anything to my
shells. If they are a bit dull, such is life. If I have a specimen where I
worry that the periostracum might peel off or the shell may shatter, I
place them in a 4 or 6 mil ziplock bag. While the bags are not totally
impervious, the internal humidity equilibrates so slowly that the shells
that I have stored this way have not shown any appreciable changes in over
a decade. On the other hand, some stored in trays, and exposed to
atmospheric changes, have shown significant changes.

I no longer have to deal with fumes, shells that are too tacky, etc.

The additional  benefit, as pointed out by Paul, is that if someone wants
to do an analysis of the shell, it has not been adulterated. As most of my
collection is earmarked (in my will) to the Carnegie Museum, this is an
important consideration to me.

> Hello,
> I saw some silicone “beauty serum”, if I remember the name well, at
> the last paris Shell show.
>   Would somebody know whether silicone is better than paraffin/mineral oil
> to enhance colors of seashells and why?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Franck Frydman

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2flistserv.uga.edu%2fcgi-bin%2fwa%3fSUBED1%3dconch-l%26A%3d1&data=01%7c01%7ccsturmjr%40PITT.EDU%7c2070f5dff30447b5969608d3e86050d8%7c9ef9f489e0a04eeb87cc3a526112fd0d%7c1&sdata=AVbjLRFK5cacsraJlEEagG8taoPZTHpJPW4UoNhNIpg%3d
> click leave the list.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine