From:
ERIKA GOTTFRIED <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:31:33 -0500

Peter Whipple wrote:
As was mentioned a couple weeks ago on Conch-L during the beach
replenishment discussion, intertidal life (of which coquinas are a
part) is generally smothered by the "new" sand.  I would expect Miami
Beach to be one of the prize customers for the environmental rapists
known as beach replenishment companies.

And in response, I think, to Mr. Whipple's comment, Bob and
Carol Simpson wrote:
Someone asked me to report on a trip 3 of our
shell members took to Cherry Grove, SC in search of lettered olives
which came up as a result of renourishment.  They found about 100
SMALL olives - most only a little over an inch.

My question in response to both is:

While I did not find any coquinas, I did find numerous
lettered olives on Miami Beach, most over two inches on this trip.
So I'm wondering if beach renourishment is necessarily the culprit in
Cherry Grove.  Or are the dead shells I found FROM the sand provided
by the beach renourishment, rather than coming from immediately
offshore Miami Beach?

Erika Gottfried
Curator of Nonprint Materials
Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives/Tamiment Library
New York University
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
Phone: 212-998-2635