From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:23:05 -0800
Wes,
        I've mentioned that idea to several people working on book
projects, but they all say that they don't know how to do that "Computer
illustration stuff".  Maybe we need a new Scientific Illustration CD Rom
Company, made up of people who DO know how "That computer stuff works".  It
would be a great addition to the publishing world.  Why not?
Dan Yoshimoto, Lost on THE LOST COAST

>Shell books with the desired characteristics are inherently very
>expensive, and only a few can afford them.
>
>There is an alternative for books of good quality and adequate
>information:  The CD.  CD's can be produced at quite low cost (though
>not at reduced work on the part of the author).  One major problem is
>that most people prefer reading a physical book.  You can print the part
>of a CD book that most interests you at a specific time.  If the
>graphics are available easily (often not the case), you can print them
>separately and lay them out on your table for comparison of all the
>species you would like to compare.  This flexibility is not available in
>a physical book.
>
>Why not go CD if you have the time, material and ability to produce a
>book?  You probably can't expect to make much money by writing a shell
>book on an obscure family in any event.  Do it for the overall good of
>malacology.  In the process, you will be awarded with the gratitude of
>people who are interested in the family, if the CD is really worth
>while.
>
>Many old books had illustrations in a separate section.  This allows
>looking at the illustrations while reading any page of the text, and
>still permits economies of printing color in one section.  Compared to
>having the color section as part of the text book, it is a great idea.
>This also brings up the possibility of having an excellent black and
>white text book with a CD holding the graphics.
>
>Aloha,
>
>Wes

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.