From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:48:41 +0000
Hello,

some more information became available on the fultoni. In fact, Amorim
intended his info for some dealers only, but it came all on Conch-L.

The info we here got is as follows (it may be wrong but there is a good
chance it is correct).
- about 800 were fished, 200 went to South African dealers, 200 to Japan,
and Amorim should have about 400.
The shells were fished by Russian trawlers, and this is the reason why
Amorim drops the price. Amorim is known to pay his suppliers very well and
has experience with the market, so his price setting is correct. If you
know the Russian fisherman it is evident that they probably will return to
the same spot to fish fish, in order to get some extra income with the
shells. So, we normally can expect more fultoni later. We get a chance to
see the fultoni at the teuleri price soon. This will make many collectors
happy.

I forgot: I was also told there are few in a top condition among the ones
fished.

Now, for the ones chocked about the numbers:

I eat more fish than meat, so:
200 days a year one fish. Each fish, at the end of the food chain, consumed
at least 1000 molluscan veligers : makes 200000 molluscs eaten.
40 days in the Philippines a year, I'm eating about 30 tridacna (dailyfood
sold by the thousands there). Each Tridacna filtered at least 10000
veligers, which joins 300000 veligers.
In Belgium we have traditional Mytilus edulis dishes. I'm eating at least
30 times 100 Mytilus, which makes 3000 specimens a year. Each Mytilus
filtered at least 500 veligers, joining 1500000 dead veligers.
Few times a year I can enjoy better restaurants, let's say 5 times. There I
get as introduction Littorina littorea, about 50 specimens, as a taster.
Makes 250 extra.
Then 6 oysters. They all killed at least 500 of their compagnions. So, 3000
extra x 5 = 15000.
I'm also driving about 40000 km a year. An certainly crushes during
nightime each year 1000 Arion, Helix etc...
Without counting my other destructive activities such as eating salad (the
one cleaning the salad certainly killed some molluscs, each tomato killed
certainly some molluscs), we arrive at a total of 2 016 250 dead molluscs.
This is just for me. Because marine scientists are supposed to be fish
eaters, and let's say we are five hundred discussing here, we speak of
about   1 008 125 000 dead molluscs for small part of our activities.
Who thinks that 1000 fultoni are of any significance ?

An now all to Paris !

Guido

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.

http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/