From:
Aaron Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:08:27 -0900
Dear Guido,

Your point is well made, none of us walk through the world and do no harm,
but a few things must be pointed out. First, one cannot compare a veliger to
a reproductively active adult. To apply game theory to this, give an adult
Cypraea is given a value of one, and say she lays 1000 eggs a year of which
2 survive to reach reproductive age. This give an individual veliger a value
of 1/500. However, an adult cypraea could live 5-10-20(?) years making her
lifetime reproductive output 10, 40 or more.

The second point is just friendly nitpicking and doesn't really affect your
numbers at all. As I understand it Tridacna clams have lost the ability to
filter feed and feed only on the metabolic outputs of their symibiotic
dinoflagellate algaes, the zooxanthellae. - Aaron