From:
Scott E Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:12:43 -0800
Sylvia,

Mr. DuPont shot the head coach of the US Olympic Wrestling team.  As a
inheritor of great walth, duPont was able to indulge his interests, one of
which was wrestling.  He built a training center on his estate and funded
Olympic training there.  In a dispute with the victim, he shot him dead in
front of the victim's young family.  It was later confirmed that duPont
suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.

There are several illustrated newspaper articles describing this sad tale
that can be found on the Internet through search engines.  I remembered at
the time of the incident how I as a youth had seen that same National
Geographic article and marveled at Mr. duPont's collection.  I would be
interested in hearing on Conch-L from those who knew him personally, not for
its purient value but rather as insight into the human condition.  It is
tragic that the life of a fellow friend of malacology could go so terribly
awry.

Scott Jordan