From:
Art Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:08:05 -0800
Frank & Donna Robb wrote:

> Hi Conchlers!
>
> For those long time shellers, I have just received word that Iluminado
> Iway passed away on January 5th of this year from a stroke. I was
> informed by his son Rommel just this week. I do not know if he will be
> keeping up his father's practice of supporting his family by
> collecting shells. For those that are interested his address is:
>
> Rommel Iway
> Culion Leper Colony
> Culion, Palawan 5315
> Philippines
>
> Frank Robb
> Florida
I have to comment on Illuminado Iway. When I was teaching in High
School, and sponsoring the student council, The Iway family became one
of our charities. But that is not quite right. Illuminado wrote lovely
letters and sent shells. What we did was send T-shirts---about 15 boxes
of them at a time---donated by Velva-Sheen and wrapped and posted by our
student council. He was a most complex person, a family man, a con-man,
a survivor. I will write to Rommel. And I will miss his father.
   Art