From:
CHAN Sow-Yan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:16:45 +0800
Date:    Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:42:51 -0800
From:    Art Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Green snail

CHAN Sow-Yan wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Interesting topic on green snail!
>
> In Singapore, there is also a so-called green snail
> but it's a <I>Amphidromus atricallosus</I>.
> An empty sample which I used for my webpage icon is at:
> http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~chansy/graphics/pic.gif
>
> The shell color is a dirty-green when alive, but turned
> yellow when dead. Never dare try putting in bleach. :-)
> You can see some images of both the live and dead samples at:
> http://www.giaco.com/~chansy/html/listingx.htm
> Scroll down for Camaenidae.
>
> BTW, there is a Messageboard for you to use at:
> http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=molluscanPix
>
> Regards,  CHAN Sow-Yan (Singapore)
>
> Molluscan Pictures at http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~chansy/
Re: Green Tree Snail
    There seems to be evidence that the Manaus snail changes color by
itself, has two stages, and can be acidified. In other words it can be
yellow by natural and un-natural means. Is this true? Also, if the snail

is endangered, have there been any atempts to raise them in simulated
environments---zoos? Should there be?
   Art

Hi Art,

Got no ideas on both.

Mainly the endemic Partulas of Polynesia are under captive breeding.

Sow-yan