From:
Bill Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:50:44 -0500
The Manus Island Green Tree Snail has been listed as "Endangered" since
1975 when CITES came into being (in Appendix II which regulates transport).
Since Papua New Guinea is a signatory of CITES, I am assuming that
it was included at that countries request since they are the only country
where the species is found.

I'm quite sure that non-signatories of the convention have no laws in
regards to possessing or transporting this species. The species is of course
not listed as endangered by the United States --- we don't have any -- nor
do
any other countries, and therefore it would not be listed as endangered.
However,
we are a signatory of the Convention (and considering the Lacey Act), we are
obliged to enforce the law(s).  Are we to second guess the people who should
know best as to the snails viability -- the country who possess all of the
living specimens?  Legally, we don't appear to have that option.

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
Phone/FAX: (904) 724-5326
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm