From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:31:00 -0700
Jim,

Believe it or not there is an album (remember those things we had before
CDs?) that has both sides full of nothing but the pronunciation of shell
scientific names.  This record was done by R. Tucker Abbott while he was
at the Delaware Museum.  I think he pronounces something like 2400
names!!  My kids always got a good laugh when they would come across
this album in the record cabinet.  Anyway, he starts by saying there IS
NO correct way to pronounce these names but only ways that have become
generally accepted and that often pronunciation will differ from place
to place around the world.  After saying that, he starts naming names,
as it were.  Chlamys becomes clam-is with the accent on the clam.

So for maybe the first time on Conch-L I offer not MY opinion but that
of the venerable shell man himself.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

P.S.  If anyone from the list ever stops by and wants to have a fun
evening listening to this album they are more than welcome.  Just give
me a chance to set it up and then leave and watch a movie until it is
done.

 No, my topic is much more