From:
Carol Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:41:25 -0500
Thanks for the info on shell clubs, or lack there of, in Toronto.  I will
keep this in mind.  At present my time is taken up with other duties and
preparations for our (planned) circumnavigation in 2000 (if all goes well),
so perhaps in a couple of years I'll consider doing this.  Thanks again.

Also for those who gave me info on CUBA at Christmas time.  I thank you.
We went to the Caribbean side, Ancon Beach, near Trinidad, Cuba.  Every
morning there is a different array of shells on the beach because the winds
are constantly changing.  Sometimes in two directions at once.  There are
many Cushion sea stars (oreaster reticulatus - I think), of which I only
took one for my collection. Lots of urchins, arks, cat's paws, egg cockles,
lucines, scallops, venus, small white cowries, thousands of moons, nerites
and periwinkles.  Sorry folks, I only now the common names off the top of
my head.  All are small, except the sea stars, and lots of tiny or micro
shells.  At any rate we enjoyed our 3-4 hour walks up the beach each day.
Especially when Toronto was getting so much snow.

Carol Lowe
Toronto, Ontario

----------
> From: Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Shell Clubs
> Date: February 25, 1999 9:51 PM
>
> Carol,
>         I;ve looked in my lists of clubs and find nothing,BUT, why don't
> you start one there and you can be their "Glorious Leader".  A year and a
> half ago,when I moved to Eureka, California, there had never been a shell
> club here either.After checking around and making myself known as a
> collector, with other similar nature clubs, I began to get names of other
> people in the area with similar interests that didn't know that there was
> another collector in the area.  After 6 month we have 10-12 members, have
> put up 2 exhibits in our local libraries and have sponsored a Shell
> Identification Day at our local natural history museum, all this to round
> up some more members.  We are meeting in members' homes at this point but
> will be looking for a larger site in the near future.
>         Tom Eichhorst, in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, has just started a new
> club there (Albuquerque) and he and I share ideas for our new clubs.
Maybe