From:
Scott E Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 05:22:42 -0800
I was recently at a meeting of the British Shell Collectors club and there
were a couple of Indian fellows, obviously not shell enthusiasts but rather
budding entrepeneurs, who had a table full of C. milneedwardsi going for
around $40 each (pre-haggling).  I think that Paul is probably not
exaggerating.

I myself have bought gem C. bengalensis in Thaiand for a few bucks a piece.
Are the dealers ripping off collectors?  Absolutely not!  Look at the risks
they take on in maintaining an extensive inventory, buying from shady
characters, traveling to strange parts of the world in search of shells,
dodging rapacious customs officials and dealing with bad debtors
(customers).  Throw into the mix the cleaning, labeling, packing, handling,
paperwork, postage, disagreements over condition, establishing of prices,
printing up of lists, accurate identification of species, doctored product,
etc., and you have got to wonder how they make any money at all.

When you buy a shell you are not so much buying an object as you are paying
for the elaborate services provided.

Make no mistake about it though, thanks to the Internet eventually someone
in the Philippines is going to serve as a direct link between the dirt poor
fishermen and the world's shell collectors.  When this happens, I think we
might see fewer local shell dealers making a go of it, and we will feel the
poorer for it.

Scott Jordan