From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:26:44 -0700
About labeling a parcel, "bomb."  I know it was a joke, but to be sure
everyone understands the thinking of border patrol and customs
officials.

About 30 years ago I was stationed in Del Rio, Texas.  My brother-in-law
came down to stay with us for a while.  One afternoon, my wife and I
with the young, smart mouthed brother-in-law and his girlfriend drove
down to Mexico for the day and for a great evening meal.  On the way
back when we were asked by the border patrol if we had anything to
declare, all said no except for you know who, who jokingly said, "Just
some grass."  This was interpreted by the officials to mean marijuana
and they were not in a joking mood.  We were all forced to get out of
the car and we were searched.  Then they proceeded to tear my car
apart.  Every door panel was pulled out, rugs pulled up, back seat taken
out, etc.  It took them about 25 to 30 minutes to establish that 1) we
were not smuggling anything and 2) they really knew how to strip a car,
and 3) we had learned our lesson not to joke around with these guys.  It
then took us almost 2 hours to get the car back together so we could
drive off.  To this day, my wife cannot believe I didn't just dump her
idiot brother out in the desert on the way home.

On a side note.  When you mail shells with a label of, "Seashells for
scientific study, no commercial value" and "gift" you can still insure
them for replacement value if you are sending something you will be
unable to send again if it gets lost.  As for the registering bit.  I
think it is a great idea.  Just last year I returned some borrowed shell
publications and it took three weeks for them to travel from New Mexico
back to Kentucky.  I was very concerned, but because they were not
registered there was absolutely nothing I could do.  I still forget to
register most of the stuff I send, but it would really be the best
course and adds very little to the cost.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA