From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:41:41 -0700
I read, (I think in The Living Molluscs) that shell collecting became a
popular hobby in Britain at one time (before the turn of the century?) and
many beaches and rocky shores were completely trampled by eager people
wanting in on the new craze, so one argument is that it is good if not too
many people are shell collecting, and better yet, only those with real
interest who adopt prudent collecting practices.
What reasons could there be for people in the hobby wanting to keep the
hobby alive for future generations?  Why do we care after we are gone?
Apart from financial gain for shell dealers (which is not necessarily a
"wrong" thing), responsible shellers and organizations work hard to protect
the ecosystems they get so much enjoyment from.  Possibly wetlands would
not have the protection they do in Ducks Unlimited if it were not for duck
hunters.  So, maybe we do protect molluscs by the very act of taking an
interest in them.
Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA