From:
James M Cheshire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:50:54 -0600
Dear all, I have recently been doing some fossiling up here in
Columbus, Ohio, and I need some help. The other day I broke open a rock
with sponge fossils all over it, and inside was a lot of deeply grooved,
clam looking
things. I am not sure that they are clams, though. I have heard of an
ancient race of shells called "Lamp shells" and although they look like
bivalves, they are not related.
I read that they existed in large numbers several million years ago, and
that there are only a few species living in the deep parts of the worlds
oceans today. Now, here is a more detailed discription of them:

Cockel shaped, about 1/2" long,
with deep grooves running vertically up the shell.

I also found a little pecten in between two tree roots. Here is its
discription:

Wings equal, with fine vertical lines running up shell, about 1/2" long.
Reddish brown.

My uncle has a scanner; I will try and scan these, but since we are going
back down to Florida in two days and my uncle lives in Ohio, I may not be
able to.

Thanks,
James

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]