From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:08:33 -0700
Elizabeth,

I haven't read "Privileged Hands" but I thoroughly enjoyed Vermeij's "A
Natural History of Shells."  His book contains a lot of insightful
aspects of the form/function of the shell.  He also winds his way in and
out of the evolutionary pressures affecting modern shells.  There was
one short section about a crab and a gastropod and their complex
predator - prey relationship which is reversed from one island to
another.  Unfortunately, as much as I enjoyed that section and as much
as I am almost sure it was in Vermeij, I have never been able to go back
and find it again!  Admittedly all of my second, third, forth, etc.
attempts have involved skimming the book.  I guess I'll have to do a
cover to cover read; if it isn't there I'm in trouble!  One more proof
of a slipping mind....

So, I am a Vermeij fan.  Once you go beyond the need for just another
shell identification book (a level I haven't and probably will never
attain) you should try books such as those by Vermeij and others.  They
give us a chance to learn a bit and maybe wonder at these fascinating
creatures.  I collect the shells and love it, but in the end, the shell
is just a portion of the mollusk story.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA (waxing a bit philosophical with my
morning coffee)

P.S.  Sorry to all about the posting on Ally McBeal, it was obviously
meant for Lynn alone.  Our fan club is very restrictive.

P.P.S.  Under the wonders of shells.  I just got some plants from my
sister who was thinning them out.  They are plants meant for
xeriscaping, that is plants that will tolerate our dry climate and not
require very much water.  I laid the dug up plants on the porch and the
next morning there were dozens of snails (Helix aspersa) in the
vicinity.  They were leaving behind the dug up and drying out plants and
looking for a better habitat.  The wonder is the success of these guys
in our high desert climate.  Every summer I find some in a parking lot
by a local hospital.  The area they have homesteaded is only some 20
feet by 10 feet and surrounded by asphalt and concrete.  It gets only
rainfall for water (less than 10 inches a year) and bakes in mid to late
summer.  Yet these tough little snails persist.  Incredible!