From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:02:53 -0700
Hi Andrew,
Do you study ammonites or cephalopods? My husband attended a talk last
week at our Paleo Society and the presentation was on ammonites and
modern cephalopods.  (I wish I'd gone). The presenter expressed the same
thing about the argonaut egg case looking like an ammonite.  He also
said that the argonaut egg case is rather "spongy".  I've never seen
one, other than in pictures.
James Wood, in the Cephalopod link I've pointed out shows argonauta as
an octopus, and not closely related to modern nautilus.  I think that is
old news to those who study cephalopods, but I was surprised to learn
this.  Paleontologists also believe that ammonites and nautilus are not
closely related.