From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 10:58:33 -0700
Hi Andrew

    Re Tasty meal. Shell bite marks

    Yes, ammonites were prey as well as predators. It must be noted,
however, that there were many species, sizes, etc. with different
strategies. Just as all fish do not use the same strategy for defense or
protection of eggs, not all ammonites (or octopoids) would use the same
strategy. The 'ammonite' imitation for an egg case could have evolved as
the preferred strategy for a particular species. It doesn't need to be
an absolute defense but only an incremental evolution advantage.

    Re Mosasaur predation, etc.  Recent studies (especially in Late
Cretaceous fauna)show that most previously thought 'Mosasaur' bite marks
are actually limpet scars. These scars are common on large
'Placenticeras' ammonite specimens from Alberta. I have attended a few
lecture recently on this. Placenticeras specimens are fairly common from
the Bearpaw Sea Formation in Alberta. It is not hard to find enough
specimens where one or two will appear as a perfect match for teeth
punctures.  We have the same issue in looking at dinosaur
(Tyrannosaurid) puncture marks in fossil bones (especially vertebrae);
any small scar or opening will erode quicker than the surrounding
material and often appear as a circular hole that fits a tooth tip quite
nicely.

    Argonauts to ammonites to mosasaurs to dinosaurs. Somehow seashells
to dinosaurs. Thats what happens when we live in Alberta, surrounded by
dino bones and a thousand kms from the ocean. It shows, again, that any
'ology'  subject (such as mallacology or conchology) can not be studied
in a vacuum and that all of Nature is the classroom. We sometimes find
Cretaceous freshwater mollusca (viviparidae, etc.) when searching for
dino material: the shell hobby has given more meaning to these once
anonymous little  fossil critters.