From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:18:20 -0800
Nora:

        Daniel Geiger's Haliotidae paper is 1998 rather than 1988 (see
Nautilus 111(3):85-116).  Also, he will be completing his PhD across the
street at USC this summer using a total cladistic analysis of the family so
stay tuned for more top notch papers from Dan.  He and I have completed a
review of fossil abalone for Journal of Paleontology that may be out in
September or November as well.
        The Allan Hancock Foundation of USC published quite a few monographs
in the 50's and 60's on the cruises of the R/V VELERO III & IV, which
produced an enormous amount of invertebrate and vertebrate marine material
(much of which is now at LACM).  Unfortunately, publications irregularly
appear any more.  Soot-Ryen's mytilid monograph is out-of-print.

Later.

Aloha,

Lindsey Groves

At 12:48 PM 3/31/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks Kim, Harry and Dan for the excellent leads on Haliotidae and Mytlidae.
>Against all odds our University libaray has Nautilus, but I have not found the
>paper on Haliotidae yet.  It's definitely from 1988?  I'll give it another
look.
>Also, is the Soot-Ryen reference in a journal called "Allan Hancock
Expeditions".
>I've never heard of that one.  It's been a long time since I scrounged for
>journals at a University library.  Time to roll up the sleeves....
>
>Harry G. Lee, MD wrote:
>
>> Dear Nora,
>>
>> There isn't an inclusive picture book on the abalones, but:
>>
>> Geiger, D. L. 1998.  Recent genera and species of the family Haliotidae
>> Rafinesque, 1815 (Gastropoda: Vetigastropoda).  Nautilus 111(3): 85-116. May
>> 26. provides a list of all Recent generic and trivial names (with valid taxa
>> in boldface) along with detailed discussions of taxonomic vagaries,
>> geographical indices by species, B & W photographs of infrequently
>> illustrated taxa, and a fine bibliography.  If you don't receive this
>> benchmark journal, consider doing so.  I have been a Nautilus subscriber
>> since 1955 and consider it essential to my collecting enterprise.  Contact
>> Jose Leal for further info <[log in to unmask]>.
>>
>> A fine treatment on the Mytilidae is:
>>
>> Soot-Ryen, T. 1955.  A report on the family Mytilidae (Pelecypoda). Allan
>> Hancock Expeditions 20(1): 1-174 + 10 pls. incl. 18 text fig's. Nov. 10.
>> This work treats all west American mytilids and gives a key for all Recent
>> genera.
>>
>> Harry
>>
>> At 09:56 AM 3/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> >Thanks to those who helped me with my shell ID. No ideas on my mussels
>> >though.  Can anyone tell me of a good book for worldwide mussels (Mytilidae)
>> >and one on Abalones?
>> >Nora Bryan
>> >Calgary, Alberta
>> >CANADA

>> Harry G. Lee
>> mailto: [log in to unmask]
>> Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
>> Jacksonville, FL  32204
>> U. S. A.    904-384-6419
>> Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
>> http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm

Lindsey T. Groves
Collection Manager Malacology/Invert. Paleo.
900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007
Voice: (213) 763-3376 (Mal) 744-3485 (IP)
Fax: (213) 746-2999/7646
e-Mail: [log in to unmask]