From:
"Frank S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:14:26 EDT
Actually the statement is used only on customs forms for items going
overseas. As I understand it they have two major purposes. One to insure
endangered species, contraband, dangerous items and the like, are not sent
overseas through the mails. The other is to insure that individuals who are
importing items of value have the appropriate customs tax paid on the item.
The same way you pay customs when you enter the country. US customs has a
list of what has commercial value and charge tax accordingly. A few years ago
while returning from Okinawa I came through customs in Hawaii. I had in my
possession over $10,000 worth of expensive shells that I was hand carrying.
Customs passed me right through without a blink. The only stories I've heard
about customs in any country stopping people was not to pay a tax, but
because the item (shells) could not be exported from that country.

All of you who wish to feel guilty have my permission to do so, just don't
try to pass it on to those of who KNOW we are not doing anything illegal or
sneaky. Thanks!

One last thought. Becareful when using Rice's catalog. It can be a very
useful tool, but remember at present a large part of the entries in the "99"
catalog are over 6 months out-of-date. Also it only shows the asking price,
not the selling price and that is what actually determines the value of
anything.

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://surf.to/seagems
We accept ALL major credit cards!