From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 11:44:48 -0400
Dear Brooke,

Your question about how to identify Conus florifulus/muriculatus/sugillatus
is a very good one.

Since I have a copy of the Manual of the Living Conidae (RKK), I pulled it
out to see if it gives a consistent way to identify a shell to one of these
names.

The book treats Conus floridulus A. Adams & Reeve, 1848 as a distict species
(number 31). A holotype is
listed in the British Museum of Natural History. Conus muriculatus Sowerby
I, 1833 is treated as separate species (number 32).  Dr. Alan Kohn
designated a shell as a lectotype (also in the British Museum of Natural
History) in 1992.  Conus sugillatus Reeve, 1843 is treated as a larger form
of Conus muriculatus. No type specimen is mentioned.

In the discussion of Conus floridulus, RKK says... "C. floridulus resembles
the typical form of C. muriculatus in shell and animal.  For comparison, see
the Discussion of the latter species."  In the discussion of Conus
muriculatus, RKK says... "The typical for of C. muriculatus closely
resembles C. floridulus in shell characters and colour pattern of the
animal.  The latter can be distinguishedd by its larger size, lighter spiral
colour bands, and light violet base, in contrast to the dark bluish or
brownish violet base of C. muriculatus.  Additional differences are seen in
the colouration of the animal."

C. floridulus is described as having a more restricted range than C.
muriculatus.  C. muriculatus is recorded from East Africa and Madagascar in
the west and French Polynesia in the east, while C. floridulus has not been
reported from these areas.

In the description of C. muriculatus, RKK discuss the "sugillatus form".. .
"In form sugillatus (Pl. 9, Figs. 6, 7, 11), colour bands  of last whorl
usually darker, often tinged with dark bluish green or greenish brown.
Central and subshoulder band may be overlaid with yellowish  brown.  Brown
spiral lines usually solid.  Teleoconch sutural ramps often greenish  brown
towards apex.  Aperture dark violet, with pale band at centre and
subshoulder area.

The description in RKK indicates the typical form of C. muriculatus ranges
from 23-31mm and the form "sugillatus" ranges from 32-62mm.   C. floridulus
ranges in size from 30-59mm.

All the above was from RKK.  My observations generally agree with Paul
Monfils in that there is very little that helps separate these taxa when you
have shells in front of you that  need a name.  Generally, I have seen deep
water, high spired and pale shell shells from tangle nets and dredging named
as C. floridulus, while shells collected by diving and wading that tend to
be darker are called either  C. muriculatus or sugllatus depending on size.
The pustules and height of spire are variable.  In the same lot I have seen
intergrades between flat spires and tall spires (also shoulder coronations)
as well as gradation between smooth and fully pustulose shells.  The fully
pustulose  ones generally sell for a premium.

Hope this info helps.

Bill Fenzan
Norfolk, Virginia, USA