From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 12:23:04 -0500
Art,
  I would propose the genus Chesapecten WARD & BLACKWELDER 1975 as a set
of taxa which show evolutionary trends.  I believe the earliest on is C.
coccymelus from the early Calvert Formation (miocene) which then goes thru
various species until it dies out in the Pliocene with the last two taxa
being C. madisonius and C. septenarius.  If you need more details, ie. the
full list of taxa and the geological horizons that they come from I can
pull it out of my library.  Let me know.

Charlie

Charlie Sturm, Jr
Clinical Instructor - Family Medicine
  University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
  Carnegie Museum of Natural History