From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 09:04:07 -0700
Ardeth,

Byne's doesn't spread from one shell to another like an infection. It's a
chemical reaction which takes place under optimal conditions. Everything
has to be just right within the structure of the shell for it to be
affected. One specimen can be completely involved while another sitting
right next to it is unaffected. Bleach will halt the reaction but will
not undo any damage.

I'll be happy to send you a copy of Sally's article. The really great
thing about the article is that Sally explains the history of how Byne's
got its name, how and why it happens, how to prevent it, and how to deal
with affected specimens. It's the most complete treatment of the subject
I've seen.

Best regards,

Kim