Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:22:46 -0500
Recently, we discussed the fact that some shells dissolve more readily than
others. Here is an example of a shell that looks robust, but is actually
rather brittle. The Eocene Gosport Sand of Alabama (USA) includes shell
beds deposited in storms. Gastropods typically have chipped or broken lips,
and are commonly filled with shells that look as though they were jammed
into the aperture. An unidentified species of Busycon is fairly common in
the Gosport Sand at Little Stave Creek, but is only rarely found complete.
Most specimens consist only of columellas or of equant chunks that may
include one of the distinctive low spines. The species is one of the
largest in the formation, and the shell looks robust. Other large, common
gastropods are relatively well preserved. My question to you is: Are modern
Busycon shells more brittle than those of other large gastropods?

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama