From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 14:33:16 -0700
Hi all who didn't attend the COA Convention
Today, and until the 4th of July, here in Eureka, we are having our own
fantastic celebration.  The replica of THE ENDEAVOUR, Capt. Cook's research
vessel (labeled a BARK), has sailed into Humboldt Bay, here in Northern
California.  The entrance was magnificent, complete with cannon fire, the
U.S. Coast Guard cutters and a papade of fishing vessels.  They will be
here for a week.  For those not familiar with this ship, Capt Cook
outfitted a research vessel to travel around the globe collecting plants,
animals, and other natural history items for study.  On board were Dr.
Banks and Solander,
        Now for the question.  Does anyone have an idea about what shells
were collected in the three voyages?  I have talked with the Dispaly and
Artifacts Mate and they haven't any idea.  I would like to help them obtain
specimens that might have been collected on the voyages.  The only shell
that I know of is the Astraea heliotropium, Martyn, as it is illustated in
peter Dance's History of Shell Collecting book.  Are there any other
references that might have a list of what was collected.  I have copied the
section from Dance's book for the ship's (BARK'S) library and have given
them a Malleus alba, Linnaeus, 1758, that was collected in Northern
Australia.  The only shell on display on the ship is Cypraea tigris,
Linnaeus, 1758 and that's kinda sad.  We have to be better epresented on
this worldwide tour as malacologists and conchologists, don't you think?
Dan Yoshimoto

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California