From:
Rick Negus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:53:11 -0700
Wayne

Thanks very much for the info

Rick

At 08:45 AM 07/02/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Rick,
>
>You antiquarian shell prints are from the "Manual of Conchology" by George
W. Tryon.  The Manual had two series - a marine series and a
freshwater/terrestrial series.  The series was completed by Pilsbry after
Tryon's death.  The Marine series consisted of 17 volumes published from
1885-1898.  The second series had 28 volumes published from 1885-1935.  Each
series was offered in black & white, full color and a "fine edition" where
the text was printed on heavy plate paper, the plates duplicated in full
color and India tinted.  Supposedly this fine edition was limited to 25
copies.   I have never seen a complete "fine edition" even at the Academy in
Philadelphia!

>Hope this helps -- by the way I didn't check out all the plates just a
sample but all the ones I checked we definiately from Tryon.