From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:04:20 -0600
Dear Conch-Lers,

I have been waiting to see if someone would do a quick impression of the
1999 COA convention in Louisville -- but haven't seen a word.  So before
turning in tonight, here are a few thoughts.

First of all, a heart felt thanks for all who made the convention such a
pleasurable experience and a great success.  I will not name names
because there were many volunteers helping out the Louisville sluggers
and I would hate to miss someone.  But please, each of you that helped,
know there are a few hundred attendees who thoroughly enjoyed the fruits
of your labor.  It was a great show!!  Those of you who missed it,
really missed a great time.  For the Louisville team, take a couple of
days off, you certainly deserve it (beautiful downtown area, by the
way).

The agenda was full, the speakers interesting, the raffle prizes really
nice, and the shells...ah, the shells.  From the cheap table shells, to
the incredible display of derby shells, to the dealer's tables -- there
was something for everyone and for some of us there were many
somethings.  I left a poorer but shell laden collector.  We left in the
late afternoon and went as far as St. Louis.  Then we went straight home
-- 1,100 miles in one day stopping only at hamburger places because we
were broke!  Happy, but broke.

Second to the shells was, of course, the chance to meet all of these
folks I have been talking to on Conch-L!!  I think the only one who
really fit my mental image was Betty Jean (the tall one) because I had
asked her about six months ago what the nickname meant and thus knew
exactly who the fiery lady was at the microphone, hidden behind the
dais.  The really interesting thing about putting faces to names was the
fact that these folks were just as nice in person as over the web!  I
literally met over one hundred really nice people (and maybe two
grouches -- nah, just kidding, I think it was just one).

So there you have a few impressions of the big COA shin-dig from a
landlocked amateur.  If you have thought about attending but were
hesitant because you were worried about things being too technical, or
people being too self involved, or whatever reason you didn't attend --
think again and make plans to attend next year in Houston.  This is a
fun event with great people and I plan on bringing my wife next year
(who does not collect shells) because it can be a nice little vacation
with some serious shelling (without the mud and no-see-ums) thrown in on
the side.  You won't meet a better bunch of folks.

And now I'm outta here.  Thanks again to everyone who worked so hard to
make the convention such a success.  You should be justifiably proud of
your efforts.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA