Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:57:33 EST
In a message dated 98-03-04 11:28:34 EST, Dennis Hora wrote:

<< There is just one point which makes me somewhat reluctant to this
 hobby:  I just wonder if the younger generation would continue to
 collect shells considering the fact of environmental protection programs
 implemented by both the government and non-government organizations.

This honestly this is a major concern that I have relating to my children's
involvement in the hobby.  I have been involved in the hobby for 25 years and
there are species that I cannot legally collect that those before me collected
in fair numbers.  There are also species that I have collected that my
children cannot legally collect.  I am not just referring to freshwater and
terrestrial species, but also marine; especially in Florida.  My family and I
hope to vacation in the Florida Key later this year, but I wonder if there
will even be a place where we can legally collect anything.  Scientific
Permits for marine species are such a bear to obtain in the state of Florida.
Limitations on a fishing liscence are not very encouraging either.   If I am
discouraged now, what will it be like for the coming generations? and when are
our bureaucrats going to learn that the way so save species is by protecting
habitat?  "Progress" is killing our molluscan friends and we are the ones who
are restricted, not the developers.  Just my 2-cents.

Doug Shelton
Alabama Malacological Research Center
2370-G Hillcrest Road #236
Mobile, AL 36695